What is Fair Trade?
Fair Trade is an alternative business model that aims to improve trading conditions for Global South producers. Fair Trade is based on principles of economic and social justice.
Fairtrade is a product certification system operated by Fairtrade International (Fairtrade Canada).
The Fairtrade system ensures:
- Producers, workers and artisans receive fair pay
- Gender equality within democratic cooperatives
- Conditions of work are fair and work environments are safe
- No child labour
- Strict rules to reduce environmental harm
- Communities benefit from the Fairtrade premium, a portion of profits dedicated to education, healthcare, and other community initiatives
You can take action as a global citizen and show solidarity with producers in the Global South by purchasing fair trade products and helping to promote fair trade in your community!
Fairtrade products available in Manitoba include:
- Chocolate and cocoa products
Look for the Fairtrade logo on these products in Manitoba stores!
Fairtrade is a Voluntary Sustainability Standard (VSS) and has many links to the SDGs!
Explore our website for more information and resources on Fair Trade!